Chesapeake Regional Healthcare brings first Mobile Mammography with 3D technology onsite, making appointments quick and convenient.
Who can get a mammogram on the mobile unit?
- Female employees and retirees over 40 with no prior history of breast cancer and no current breast health concerns.
Does our insurance cover the cost?
- All CPS health insurance plans, for active and retired employees, cover both 2D and 3D mammograms 100% when used for screening purposes.
- Most commercial health insurance plans are accepted, therefore employees covered by another plan like Tricare or their spouse’s plan can also get screened. The cost will vary depending on the plan. Please contact your non-CPS health plan for cost information.
What’s the difference between 2D and 3D mammograms?
- 2D mammograms take images from the front and side. 3D mammograms take images from multiple views across the breast. This allows radiologists to examine breast tissue one layer at a time or make a 3D reconstruction for a clearer, more accurate picture.
- 3D mammograms take just a few seconds longer than 2D mammograms but the amount of radiation exposure is about the same.
Research shows 3D mammograms may detect up to 40% more cancers than 2D because 2D mammograms can obscure some cancers due to compressing and overlapping breast tissue.
- 3D mammograms allow radiologists to separate overlapping tissue and exam the breast layer by layer increasing cancer detection rates by up to 40%.
- 3D mammograms reduce the rate of false-positives, unnecessary biopsies, and repeat breast screenings.