Western Branch High School Welcomes our Military Families
Western Branch High School welcomes all military families and extends a heartfelt “Thank You” for your service to our country. We are located in close proximity to the largest naval base on the east coast, as well as several other military establishments. This gives us the unique opportunity to service numerous military students and their families.
In order to give specialized attention to our military-affiliated students, Western Branch High School has a dedicated organization to assist these students. The Student-2-Student (S2S) organization is a student-led and faculty-advised program whose main goal is to help military students transition from one school and community to another. The organization sponsors various activities each school year for these students, which allows them to get acclimated to their new school and community.
Military Families: Planning Your Arrival to Western Branch High School
First, we’d like to say that we are so excited that you will be joining us and can’t wait to meet you! The steps that you will need to take to officially join the Bruin family are as follows:
- Either bring your records from your previous school or have them faxed directly to our Guidance Department. Please visit the school’s Guidance Department website
- Visit the Chesapeake Public Schools Student Enrollment Office at 312 Cedar Road. Prior to your visit, you may wish to give them a call for specific instructions on the documentation needed for registration. You may visit the CPS Student Enrollment webpage.
- Call our Guidance Department and schedule an enrollment appointment.
- Guidance Office Phone: 757-638-7908
- Guidance Office Fax: 757-484-5153
- Guidance Web Page: https://cpschools.com/wbh/guidance/
- Upon enrollment, new/military-affiliated students are asked if they would like to be paired with one of our S2S members during the first few days at school to make their transition easier…no worries, your choice. The parent or student may for more information.
Military Families: Preparing Your Move from Western Branch High School
- Prior to your departure, inform your school counselor of your pending leave date.
- You may request an unofficial copy of your school records to take with you to your next school, which will be sufficient until the official documents arrive.
- Your new school can simply request that your official records be sent to them.
Academic Planning for Military Families
• General Information: School registration, health services, supplies, dress code, attendance policy, illness, transportation, report cards, special education, etc.
At Western Branch we strive to place each and every student in the most conducive learning environment possible. Our attentive faculty and staff members are dedicated to seeing that all students achieve to their fullest potential.
Special Education Services
Students who require some degree of Special Education services will receive instructional means that correlate with their specific educational needs. We offer self-contained, inclusion and monitor-consult placements, based on the needs of each individual student.
If a student is not currently receiving Special Education Services and the parent would like to have this option explored, they can visit the Guidance Office to inquire about the process for testing and evaluation.
Advanced Academic Programs
- Advanced Placement (AP) Courses
- Dual Enrollment (DE) Courses
- Online Courses
- Chesapeake Career Center
- Advanced Studies
There are some online options available for students with specific needs/situations. This academic path is pursued on a case-by-case basis and is subject to approval.
For more detailed information on the academic opportunities for students, please review the Secondary School Course Catalog.
Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunities for Military Families
- Western Branch High School PTSA webpage (membership application, greeting letter)
- Student Activities (clubs, sports, organizations, etc.)
- WBHS webpage
- Scholarships that are available to Western Branch High students, including available scholarships for military-affiliated students can be found on the school’s scholarship portal