Physical fitness and skills for individual and team sports are taught to promote and to improve physiological growth and development, as well as to encourage participation in fitness activities that are the keys to a healthier, happier, and more productive life. Students are taught skills for various team sports and individual activities.
- Classroom instruction in PE I Health includes: the importance of fitness, goal setting, nutrition, tobacco prevention, emotional health, violence prevention, community health, Hands Only CPR Training, and Family Life Education.
- Classroom instruction in PE II includes a 7-week program in Driver Education. It focuses on the licensure process, how to operate and maintain a vehicle, the rules of the road, Virginia DMV laws, and safety awareness.
- Advanced PE Weight Lifting is a class designed for juniors and seniors that offers further development of skills in some activities chosen by the students and teacher. Emphasis is placed on fitness appraisal, nutrition, flexibility, cardiovascular endurance, muscle strength and endurance, body composition and weight management. Course offers opportunities for students to come away with knowledge of the above activities.
- Athletic Training & Sports Medicine: This honors course is available to 10th – 12th grade students and focuses on basic anatomy and the recognition, treatment, and rehabilitation of injuries to the body. Laboratory sessions are included for hands-on injury evaluation and taping techniques. Oral/practical testing of anatomy & injury evaluation is required. The course is especially beneficial to students interested in the medical field or students desiring to prevent or care for their own injuries.
- Advanced PE Team Sports is a class designed for juniors and seniors that offers further development of skills in some activities chosen by the students and teacher. Emphasis is placed on providing opportunities for practical experiences in coaching, scoring, and skill development of the various activities.
- Advanced PE Personal Fitness is a class designed for freshman and sophomores only who have completed at least PE I before taking the class. Personal Fitness focuses on fitness, strength training, physical conditioning, and lifetime health concepts. This course is structured to develop individualized knowledge of weight training and physical conditioning for the beginning student and the advanced student.
If you need to purchase a Western Branch Physical Education shirt or shorts, please use the chart below as a guide for payment. Checks must be written for the exact amount; change cannot be given from a check. After the first two weeks of each semester exact change will be the only acceptable form of payment if paying by cash (no change fund available). Online School Payments can also be used to purchase shorts/shirts. Please or your student’s teacher if you have any questions.
|P.E. SHIRTS:||P.E. 7” SHORTS:||P.E. 9” SHORTS:|
|X-Small $4||X-Small $7||Large or XL $8 (only size available in 9”)|
|Small up to X-Large $5||Small up to X-Large $8|
|2X-4X $6||2X-4X $9|