Welcome to Kindergarten!
Starting kindergarten is a major milestone for children and their families. It marks the starting point of a thirteen year journey, and we are excited to help build the educational foundation for your child. Your child’s kindergarten year will be filled with fun, lots of learning, and growth – both academically and socially!
Full Day Kindergarten
Beginning with the 2021-2022 school year, all primary and elementary schools within the Chesapeake Public Schools district will offer full day kindergarten programs! School opening and closing times vary throughout our district, and our kindergarten program adheres to the district school calendar.
Is your child ready for Kindergarten?
If your child meets all the requirements for kindergarten enrollment but you have questions on whether your student is ready – we have some resources to help. Review this checklist of skills provided by Chesapeake R U Ready. This checklist is a tool to help you review your child’s academic skills and temperament. We also invite you to view this short video featuring Principal Sonya Beasley.
Requirements for Kindergarten enrollment
- You must be a current resident in Chesapeake. Use our School Zone Lookup Tool to verify the school zoned for your home address.
- Your child must be 5 years old on or before September 30 of their kindergarten year.
- Parent/guardian must present all enrollment documentation.
- Once the initial online enrollment is complete, the child’s zoned school will contact the parent/guardian to schedule an evaluation. (District kindergarten screening procedures are currently under review. We are closely monitoring current safety guidance and mitigation strategies to ensure the safety of our student, their families, and our staff.)
How to enroll your child for Kindergarten
Online registration for the 2021-2022 school year is now available. Visit our student enrollment page to register your student online. While completing the online registration process for your kindergartner, please ensure that you:
- Use your existing ParentVUE account. If you do not have a ParentVUE account, select CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT.
Important Tip: When creating a new ParentVUE account, be sure to use the drop-down selector tools to enter your home address. For example – for your street address, type in the road name but select the road type (Drive, Lane, Road, etc.) using the drop-down selector tool!
- Select the appropriate grade level. There are two options for kindergarten – ‘K’ and ‘KG’:
– Select KG if you are enrolling your child for the next school year
– Select K if you are enrolling your child for the school year currently in progress
Important Tip: If your child is currently enrolled in a CPS Early Childhood SPED program or the Chesapeake Preschool Initiative (CPI), you do not need to register them for kindergarten. However, updated health physicals and vaccination records are required. For new student enrollments, families will be able to upload the necessary registration documents near the end of the online registration process.