1. How do I enroll/register my child for the CPI preschool program?
Parents should first apply for the CPI preschool program. Please follow the steps below:
Complete an online application. Our applications are only available during application windows. Visit our Preschool Opportunities webpage where you can complete an application, upload required documents, and submit your application.
The CPI department will contact you to schedule an eligibility screening, after your application and documents have been reviewed.
When a CPI position is offered and you accept, the CPI department will email you “Next Step” instructions for registration and enrollment with your CPI assigned school.
2. I did enrollment online already, why do I have to apply separately?
Preschool positions are limited, so applying, and being screened for eligibility is necessary.
3. What documents do I need to provide when applying for the CPI program?
There are specific documents required to determine eligibility. For a full list of the documents, please click here.
4. What if I do not have one or more of the required documents? (Such as an original birth certificate, or an electric, gas, or water utility bill in my name.)
Email for assistance and let us know which documents you are missing.
5. I sent the required document(s) already to one department in Chesapeake Public Schools. Why do I have to send the document(s) again?
To protect your privacy, and to ensure that each CPS department and/or school has your most current document(s) and information, you may be asked to re-send your document(s) by each department. Chesapeake Public Schools appreciates your cooperation and understanding.
6. When will I be notified if my child was accepted into the CPI program?
Notification letters will be emailed at the beginning of July. To ensure that you receive our email notification promptly, please make sure the CPI department has your current email address and telephone number.
7. Is CPI located at every school?
There are currently seven schools that host CPI classrooms, and they serve all of the CPS elementary and primary schools. Eligible students are placed in the CPI school determined by your kindergarten school zone.
The seven CPI schools are:
B.M. Williams Primary
Rena B. Wright Primary
Thurgood Marshall Elementary
Western Branch Primary
8. Which school will my child attend for preschool?
CPI school is determined by the kindergarten zone where you reside.
9. Is transportation provided for my child?
Transportation will be provided if you attend your zoned/assigned CPI school.
10. What time does CPI start?
The CPI full-day program follows the elementary/primary school hours. Please visit our webpage for a complete listing of school start times. Please note: CPI students are subject to the CPS attendance policies and procedures and may be subject to withdrawal from the program for excessive tardiness and/or absences.
11. Can I still apply if I am not a Chesapeake resident?
To be eligible to apply for the CPI program, you and your child must be residents of Chesapeake. In addition, your child must be four years old by September 30th of the application school year.
12. What happens if I move before school starts or during the school year?
As soon as you know that you will be moving (in or out of the Chesapeake school district), call the CPI Office at (757) 842-4099. CPI class size and number of positions are limited at each CPI school, and transfers between schools cannot be made unless there are open CPI positions.
If you are no longer a Chesapeake resident, your child will not be able to attend the CPS CPI program.