“A Commitment to Students ”
The Health Services Department of Chesapeake Public Schools offers a comprehensive health services program facilitated and implemented by a full-time professional registered nurse in every school.
The primary goal of this program is to support student learning in securing an optimum level of physical, mental, and social well-being, thus advancing their academic success and life-long achievement.
Health Services Program:
- Health Screening
- Visual and Hearing Screening
- Scoliosis Screening
- Emergency Care of Sick or Injured Students and School Personnel
- Health Education
- Health Counseling
- Child Study
- Eligibility/Special Education Services
- Special Health Problems
- Pre-School Registration
- Homebound Program
- Disaster Response
“The school nurse administers the school health program, observes and reviews records to identify pupil health needs and refers for remediation of defects. Each school nurse is responsible for the coordination and application of the program of work in her assigned school.”
Chesapeake Public Schools School Health Advisory Board
The School Health Advisory Board for Chesapeake Public Schools will serve as an advocate for a comprehensive school health program to protect and promote the health and well being of students and school personnel.
The School Health Advisory Board is composed of individuals from broad-based segments of the community, including parents, private and public health officials, social service representatives, school administers and educators. The board functions in an advisory capacity to the school system on all aspects of the school health program.
The designated school contact person is the Supervisor of Health Services 757-494-7628.
Advisory Board Functions:
- Assist the policy-making authority by recommending relevant policies for specific programs.
- Assist in determining the need for new programs.
- Help mobilize the community leadership for activities sponsored organization.
- Provide a talent pool form which to draw future governing board or program volunteers ensuring the stability of the organization within the community.
- Assist in improving public relations through linkage with civic, business, and other community representatives.
- Provide technical assistance on matters outside the organization’s (CPS) competencies.
- Provide additional and possibly more objective sources for evaluating programs and policies.
Please send your questions and feedback for our SHAB group using this online contact form. This team meets every two weeks to review health information for Chesapeake Public Schools and provide recommendations to the Superintendent and his leadership team. When a question is asked, please expect a reply after the next SHAB meeting. Your question or comment will be reviewed at that time.