Chesapeake Public Schools (CPS) facilities are designed and constructed to support the educational programs of the school district. When not being used for instructional purposes, extra-curricular activities, non-curricular student clubs, athletic events, or administrative purposes, facilities are available to the public for limited, short-term use.
As outlined in School Board Policy and Regulation 5-25, the School Board may permit the use of school property by members of the community for civic, cultural, and recreational activities subject to certain terms and conditions when such use will not impair the efficiency of the school and provided the use is for lawful purposes.
Become a Requester
All organizations wishing to apply to use a CPS facility must select the Become a Requester button on our Facilities Use Scheduling site to create an account. Once approved as a requester, your organization will be able to submit a request for use of a CPS facility.
Submit a Request
All requests to use school facilities should be submitted using our Facilities Use Scheduling site.
- Facility Use requests must be submitted by a resident of Chesapeake that is an active member of the requesting organization.
- The eligible applicant must provide proof of residence if requested.
- Certificate of Insurability (see “Insurance” below)
- The request must be submitted no less than 30 working days before intended use.
A request may be denied when –
- the previous usage was unsatisfactory
- the account is delinquent
- the activity is essentially a private gathering or dance
- is judged not to be in the best interest of the school and community or would result in an unacceptable risk.
In addition, the School Board reserves the right to refuse or revoke any application under certain circumstances. Please review School Board Policy 5-25 for more information.
Billing and Payment Procedures
Payment for all facility use fees is required in advance of the rental date by exempt and non-exempt organizations. Checks must be made payable to Chesapeake Public Schools and mailed to –
Supervisor of Student Activities and Facility Use
312 Cedar Road
Chesapeake, VA 23322.
Chesapeake Public Schools does not carry liability insurance for the protection of the groups or individuals renting or using district facilities. Groups shall procure and maintain for the duration of the contract insurance against claims for injuries to persons or damages to property which may arise from or in connection with the performance of the work hereunder by the Company, its agents, representatives, or employees.
Insurance requirements for organizations are fully outlined on our 🔗Risk Management webpage.
Calendar Considerations & Cancellations
Schools typically will not be available for rental during official school holidays. In addition, when schools are closed due to inclement weather, all facilities use agreements are canceled. Users are responsible for notifying their memberships.
All Non-exempt organizations must certify that all adult employees, coaches, volunteers and team administrators have not been convicted of any violent felony set forth in the definition of barrier crime in the Code of Virginia, subsection A of § 19.2-392.02, any offense involving the sexual molestation, physical or sexual abuse, or rape of a child: or any crime of moral turpitude. A certificate of compliance must be completed yearly.
Facility Availability for Non-Exempt Organizations
Rental requests submitted by non-exempt organizations are subject to the following-
- Requests for weekday rentals are limited to Monday through Friday at the earliest time feasible after dismissal, ensuring the request does not interfere with school operations, as determined by the school principal.
- Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. through 10:00 p.m.
- Sundays from 8:00 a.m. through 1:00 p.m.
- No request made by a non-exempt organization will be considered on dates when schools and offices are closed, as published on the CPS Calendar. This includes non-exempt organization rentals with long term agreements.
- No request made by a non-exempt organization will be considered (2) two weeks prior to school opening date and (2) two weeks after school closes. This does not include non-exempt organization rentals with long term agreements.