Chesapeake Public Schools is committed to the safety of all students and staff. The safety efforts that are in place at each of our schools are developed in conjunction with the City of Chesapeake, Chesapeake Police Department, Chesapeake Fire Department and Emergency Management. Together, we want to share with you our proactive approaches to ensuring the safety of students and staff within our school division.
What is the School Safety Taskforce?
The School Safety Taskforce was formed on March 12, 2018, after a joint meeting with School Division and City leaders. It was formed to address school safety issues, evaluate school safety protocols and practices, and determine additional measures that should be implemented throughout the school division to ensure the safety of students and staff. This team will meet regularly to continue to review, enhance, and monitor our safety procedures. Recommendations made by the Taskforce will guide current emergency practices and any future safety initiatives that will be implemented in our division. See a list of Taskforce members.
What safety and security measures are in place at Chesapeake Public Schools?
- Access control systems (entry systems) are being installed at each school’s main entrance. These systems include a buzzer, intercom, camera, and door latch release making it easy for school staff to identify visitors prior to their entry into a school building.
- “No Trespassing” signs have been installed at all schools. These signs indicate that violators will be prosecuted, allowing our local law enforcement the authority to enforce this policy.
- The Public Address system at each school will include outside speakers to allow efficient and effective communications on campus. In addition, all schools have bullhorns for use during emergency situations.
- Security cameras are being repaired or replaced at each school.
- All lighting in and around each school building is in working order.
- When school is in session there is an additional police presence/patrols at and around all schools.
- A link to the Chesapeake Crime Line is posted both on the division’s website and on each school’s website to allow anonymous reporting of potential safety matters.
- All classroom doors are locked throughout the school day.
- Lockdown Level signs will be posted in all rooms throughout each building to clarify procedures.
- Visitor signs in English and Spanish will be displayed on all doors directing visitors to the security desk for check in.
- One entrance is used for all visitors during the instructional day.
- All door windows will have coverings that can be easily implemented during an emergency situation.
What additional measures are being taken to ensure the safety of our school community?
- Administrators and School Resource Officers are participating in safety training sessions throughout the school year.
- We have partnered with city officials to develop an Active Threat Training Exercise. This citywide event will be held at Hickory High School in August. Learn more about the ATR Exercise.
- We hired a Safety Supervisor whose sole purpose is to focus on school safety and to work in partnership with our local law enforcement agencies to ensure our schools are prepared for any emergency situation.