The swearing-in ceremony for our newly elected School Board Members will be held Monday, June 22, 2020, at 4:00 p.m.
Ms. Victoria L. Proffitt, Mr. Sam L. Boone, Jr., Mrs. Angela B. Swygert, and Mr. Thomas L. Mercer, Sr. will take the oath of office. The event will stream live here and will broadcast live on Chesapeake TV (Cox channel 46 and Verizon channel 42).
The nine members of the Chesapeake School Board are elected to at-large seats and represent the entire city. They are elected to four-year staggered terms in May. The chairman and vice-chairman are elected yearly to their positions from the entire board membership to preside over meetings and represent the board at various events and ceremonial functions. The official duties of the School Board include:
- Instituting policy development for the school division
- Selecting the superintendent
- Presenting the financial needs of the school division before the City Council
- Overseeing the construction and maintenance operations for the school division
- Supervising the budget, awarding contracts, determining salaries, and overseeing school division accounts
- Approving the annual school calendar and school operating times
- Determining school boundaries
- Monitoring the employment, placement, and promotion of school employees based on the superintendent’s recommendations