Records Management

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.

Short-Term Retention Documents

Student records are retained at the last school attended for five years.  If you would like a copy of your student’s record, which includes short-term retention documents such as special education records, please contact the last school attended.

After the five-year retention period expires, student records are purged and sent to our Microfilm Department for long-term record retention.  Federal and state law requires the school district to maintain a student’s permanent academic record for 75 years.  These purged student records include the student’s name, address, phone number, grades, final transcript, attendance record, year of graduation or withdrawal, immunization record, and name change documents.  Short-term retention documents such as special education or discipline records are purged and are not included in long-term record retention.

Current Students

Current eligible students or parents/guardians of current students under age 18 may obtain copies of education and/or health records directly from the school where their child is currently enrolled.  Current high school students in need of a transcript for college applications should use the district’s online service via Parchment, a digital credential service.  Students should use their account for electronic transcript requests and may be required to sign an authorization form.  Please allow up to 14 days for this request.

Former Students

Transcripts are the ONLY verification of education/graduation provided as diplomas are not retained in a student’s permanent record.

Recent Graduates (prior to five years after graduation/withdrawal):

If you have graduated from or left Chesapeake Public Schools within the last five years, requests for electronic transcripts must be made through Parchment and may be required to sign an authorization form.  Student records are retained at the last school attended for five years.

Graduates (more than five years after graduation/withdrawal):

Former students may submit an electronic record request using ScribOrder, the district’s online student records request system.  Requestors will be asked to enter the name of the last school attended, graduation or withdraw date, date of birth, and additional information to authenticate their identity.  Once credit card payment has been received, requests will be processed within 14 working days.

Verification Companies

Companies may request graduation verification of former students electronically via ScribOrder.  There is a $15.00 fee per request.

Microfilm Records Management
Elda Dobson
Phone: 757-494-8078
Email Elda Dobson

Records Management Specialist
Darlene Gorman
Email Darlene Gorman