Summer school classes will begin June 27th, 2022 at WBHS (Students from DCM, JMS, OSM, and WBM) and will be held from 8:00 a.m. – 12:45 p.m. Schools will be closed on Fridays, and on Monday, July 4, 2022.
Spark your children’s imagination with interactive and educational camps tailored to their interests!
You may find all the camps and links to register here. There is an Early Bird discount of $5 per camp if you register by May 31, 2022
Note to parents:
1. If your child has never enrolled in a TCC Summer Camp, you will be prompted to create a profile. Use YOUR e-mail address since communication about camps will be sent to you. Check it often.
2. Select the camp(s) for each child and place them in your cart. When you check out and make your payment, then your child is enrolled in the camp. Please note the deadline to register for each camp is 5 – 11 days before the camp begins.
3. Another important part of registration is the completion of the release forms. They must be completed for each child ONCE during the 2022 camp season. It is a good idea to complete the forms when you create the profile and register for the first camp. Your child will not be admitted to camp unless we have the forms on the first day of the camp week. Otherwise, you will be required to complete them onsite before you leave.
The MinuteClinic (CVS) will be offering a $25 off discount for sports physicals between June 17 and September 14 this year. Patients can go online to make an appointment at www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/services/sports-physicals or scan the QR code below. Click here to find a local clinic.
The following is important information if you are planning on trying out for future league basketball this spring and/or trying out for the Western Branch High School basketball team next school year.
Student Athlete Requirements
There are two requirements that must be met prior to the Nov. 7 tryout date for the 2022-2023 season:
- Rising Freshmen must have a 2.0 GPA at the end of the school year in June or at the end of the summer school year in August
- Rising Freshmen must have a VHSL physical on file with the high school’s athletic office prior to the start of the season but not dated before May 10
Basketball Conditioning and Workouts
Conditioning for 8th grade middle school students will begin Tuesday, April 19 from 4:30-6:00 pm. This is open for any student that will be a Freshman at WBHS in 2022.
Future League Tryouts
WBHS boys basketball will sponsor two future league teams this season. The JV Future League Team is for 8th and 9th graders, and JJV Future League Team is for 6th and 7th graders. Future league tryouts will begin Wednesday, April 6 through Friday, April 8. Times will be 6:00-7:30 pm. If you are selected to play on a future league team, there will be a small fee to participate. The future league runs from May 2 through June 5 (dates are subject to change).
Summer League Basketball and Team Camps
After the future league is over, the WBHS boys basketball team participates in a summer league and team camps throughout the summer. Summer league teams will be made up of players from future league as well as players who do not play future league. There will be a small fee to participate. Summer league will run from June 21 through July 28.
We will attend several team camps at different colleges and universities and out of the state of Virginia. Tentative team camp schedule:
- 6/11-6/12: Virginia Beach
- 6/17: UNC Pembroke
- 6/24-6/26: JMU
- 8/12-8/14: VWU
This camp will focus on the FUNdamentals of the game such as shooting, ball handling, passing, rebounding and defense with an emphasis put on sportsmanship, teamwork and FUN! Activities will consist of games, contests, station work, free throws and more! All campers will receive a free camp t-shirt.
Lunch: Campers may bring their own lunch or purchase lunch at the CNU concessions stand in the Freeman Center.
Facilities: All camps will be held in the Freeman Center, CNU’s state-of-the-art facility, which is home to the men’s and women’s basketball, volleyball and indoor track & field teams located on the campus of Christopher Newport University.
Athletic Training: A certified athletic trainer will be on-site at all times during camp hours. Any medical emergencies or illnesses will be referred to nearby Riverside Hospital.
Questions Contact: Coach Tomlinson or (919) 830-8598
Do you want to see the latest news and events from JMS? Visit our YouTube channel to watch our latest videos!