Students who have the potential and desire to attend college and…
•exhibit appropriate behavior
•have between a 2.0 and 3.5 grade point average
•maintain consistent attendance
•demonstrate good work habits
•commit to 2 hours of homework/study time each night
•commit to enrollment in a rigorous college preparatory sequence of courses
•are potential first-generation college students
Students must complete an application to be considered for the program.
Only those interested in joining the AVID family should apply. Interviews will take place in the spring. You must have a completed application on file, signed permission slip, and submitted teacher recommendations to participate in an interview. Please contact Mrs. Ann Young, AVID Coordinator, or Ms. Terre Werts, principal for more information.
For More info visit the AVID site at www.avid.org
History of AVID at Indian River Middle School
- Under the leadership of Dr. Linda Scott, the IRMS principal and AVID District Director at the time, AVID was introduced into our school during the 1999-2000 school year.
- 2002 was the first year of AVID implementation.
- IRMS became an AVID Demonstration School in 2004.
- Naomi Dunbar continued the AVID Demonstration School status during her years as principal at IRMS (2005/06SY-2013/14SY).
- Currently under the leadership of Terre Werts, we continue to be an AVID Demonstration School. We have been re-validated through the year 2020.