- Submit a completed application – incomplete applications will not be processed
- Proof of education – college transcript with a minimum of 30 credit hours
- Negative tuberculin test (less than 12 months old as of orientation date)
- Approval of completed application by Human Resources Administrator
- Satisfactory criminal background check ($25.00 fee applies)
- Satisfactory Child Protective Services Report
- Verification of eligibility to work in the United States (I-9 form)
- Completion of payroll forms
- Attendance at a scheduled Substitute Orientation meeting
- Complete the Chesapeake Public Schools Employment Application – the application may be submitted on line at Candidate Space. Incomplete applications (i.e. unsigned, unanswered questions, etc.) will not be processed.
- Applications must contain complete information (i.e. complete mailing addresses including zip codes or e-mail addresses for your references) and must be signed.
- Supporting documents (the results of your tuberculin skin test and a copy of your college transcript showing at least 30 credit hours) should be electronically attached to your application.
- Our application system will acknowledge receipt of you application and you will be notified by email regarding missing information.
- Selected references listed on your application will be contacted by e-mail or mail.
- Applications with three (3) completed references, TB test, and transcript will be evaluated by a Human Resources Administrator.
- If your application is approved for substitute teaching by the Human Resources Administrator, you will be notified by email to call the Department of Human Resources to schedule a fingerprinting session.
- Applicants will be charged a fee of $25.00 for fingerprinting. Please bring a money order or certified check made payable to Chesapeake Public Schools (no other form of payment accepted).
- You will also be required to complete payroll, Social Service Child Protective Services background forms and present proof of eligibility to work in the United States when you come for your fingerprinting session.
- The required fee and proper identification must be brought to your fingerprinting appointment – or your fingerprint appointment will be rescheduled.
- After completion of ALL paperwork, you will be given the date, location and time of the next scheduled Substitute Orientation program.
- Attend the Substitute Orientation (lasts 3-4 hours).
- At the end of the orientation session – approved applicants with all paperwork completed, including our receipt of satisfactory criminal background check results (fingerprints), Child Protective Services report and proof of eligibility to work will be issued a Substitute Teacher card for the current school year.
- After orientation, approved substitutes must register with the Chesapeake Public School’s Aesop system in order to obtain substitute assignments.
Orientation for New Substitute Teachers
Orientations for new substitute teachers are scheduled regularly throughout the year. Once your application has been completed AND approved, you will receive information on how to set up an appointment with the Department of Human Resources to complete payroll forms, background check forms and to be fingerprinted. After completion of ALL paperwork, you will be invited to attend the next scheduled Substitute Orientation program.