Welcome Military Families!
We welcome our military families to Hugo Owens Middle School. Our school has been recognized by The Educational Opportunity of Military Children as a 2019 Purple Star designee for our outstanding commitment to serving the needs of military students and families. Here at HOM, we are dedicated to making every student feel welcomed and valued. We recognize that military families and students face unique challenges and it is our goal to make the transition process as smooth as possible. We offer many activities for our military-connected students to help them get involved, share experiences and meet new people. We thank you for your service and welcome you HOM!
- School-based military student support point of contact- Mrs. Laura Lerf
- School division point of contact- Dr. Angie Smith
- Military School Liaison Officer- Mr. Jeffrey McGee
Planning for Arrival to Hugo Owens
- Registration for any Chesapeake Public school begins online. Click here. After completing the online registration, HOMS will contact the parent/guardian for an appointment to complete the registration process. If you have any questions, please contact our enrollment secretary at 757-558-5382.
- A TDap shot is required for any incoming middle school student (military families have 30 days to get immunizations up to date).
Preparing Your Move from Hugo Owens
- Please contact the counseling office to complete a withdrawal form.
- Advance notice of at least one week is greatly appreciated.
- Special Education- Please visit https://cpschools.com/exceptional-learning/
- SOL Testing Information- Please visit https://cpschools.com/assessment/standards-of-learning-sol-testing/
- HOMS offers regular, honors and gifted course offerings. Student grades and previous placement are used when scheduling new students.
Military Interstate Compact Agreement
- Please visit https://law.lis.virginia.gov/compacts/interstate-compact-on-educational-opportunity-for-military-children/
- Follow us on Twitter and Instagram- @HugoOwensMS