Director of Student Activities
HHS Student Council Association
What is SCA?
Student Council Association is an alternate day, non-credit bearing class available to sophomores, juniors, and seniors that involves planning school events, promoting spirit week and pep rallies, fundraising, giving assistance where needed, and becoming the voice of the student body.
What exactly does SCA do?
To give you a taste of what really goes on behind the scenes, this past year the SCA:
- Planned and revitalized Hickory High’s semi-formal Homecoming dance for all grade levels
- Created a “Paws and Relax” event during the week of finals involving therapy dogs
- Implemented a “Hawks Random Act of Kindness” revolution
- Sponsored a Thanksgiving dinner for a family in need
- Visited and donated socks to senior citizens in a retirement home
- Ran a “Trick-or-Treat so Kids Can Eat” food drive raising over 2,061 pounds of canned goods
- Attended numerous state-wide leadership conferences including VSCA (Virginia Student Council Association)
- Plans are underway to revamp the school bathrooms
- Sponsored the Student vs. Faculty Basketball Game
- AND SO MUCH MORE!!!
Step By Step SCA Application Process
- Go to the application online and complete the SCA Application 2019-2020
- Be sure to send emails to three teachers and your guidance counselor and include the links they need to use. Recommendation requests need to be sent to these individuals by January 28th. Teachers and guidance counselors must be allowed an appropriate amount of time to complete the recommendation. Be sure to follow up with the individuals you choose.
- Your parents will also fill out a recommendation. Parent recommendation packets are located outside of room 172. Please secure a paper copy of this recommendation and turn it in at the office and ask to be placed in Mrs. Sarver’s mailbox by February 1st by 8:30 am. DO NOT bring them to her classroom.
- Use the following google classroom code to post your flyer: tk4rkm
- Applications will NOT be accepted late. It is important as a student leader to be conscience of deadlines; one displays responsibility and maturity when able to complete tasks on time. The following week will be used to review applications. A complete list of accepted applications will appear outside of room 172 by February 8th.
- After February 8th, a link for a signup genius will appear in the google classroom to schedule your interview. Interviews will be conducted before school so please plan accordingly.
- Selections will be made by February 22nd.
Hawk Pride: Wall of Honor
Hickory High School will be installing a Wall of Honor which will display the name, armed service branch and graduation year of our brave and courageous alumni.
Please complete the Wall of Honor form to help us honor those who have served or currently are serving our country!
If you have any questions, please contact Lesley Sarver.