Hickory High School FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions by Parents

Hickory High School

1996 Hawk Blvd

Chesapeake, Virginia 23322

(757) 421-4295           Fax (757) 421-2190    Counseling Dept (757) 421-7194


Ms. Dortch, Principal                                Lisa Roland, School Counseling Director

Mrs. Freeman, A.P. for Instruction        Jennifer Wills, School Counselor Last Names A – Con

Ms. Coles, Asst. Principal                         Stephanie Ruth, School Counselor Last Names Coo-Hal

Mr. Carter, Asst. Principal                        Geri Freeman, School Counselor Last Names Ham-Len

Mr. Porter, Asst. Principal                       Brittany Nelson, School Counselor Last Names Leo-Par

Brad Markin, School Counselor Last Names Pas-Sp & Career Info

Megan Johnson, School Counselor Last Names Sq-Z


Where should my child report the first day of school?

Students should report to first block of Semester 1(A day if the student is in an alternate day class).


What should my child bring the first day of school?

Students should bring a pen or pencil, a notebook, and lunch or lunch money.  Please be advised that lunch lines are longer the first week of school, so students may want to bring a packed lunch the first couple of days.


What is the bell schedule?

Bell 1 – 8:45 a.m. – 10:20 a.m.                        Bell 3 – 12:01 a.m. – 2:08 p.m. (30 minute lunch included)

Bell 2 – 10:26 a.m. – 11:56 a.m.                      Bell 4 – 2:14 p.m. – 3:43 p.m.


What lunch will my son/daughter eat?

Lunch assignments are based on students’ third bell classes.  Lunches will be assigned the first day of school.  Schedule changes will not be made for lunch bell requests (unless there is medical documentation).


Is there a dress code at HHS?

The dress code at HHS promotes student safety and attention to academics. Consequently, hats, bandanas, headscarves, sagging pants, revealing clothing, tank tops, spaghetti straps, and inappropriate clothing are prohibited.  If these items are seen, they will be confiscated and returned to parents only.  Students’ undergarments should not be seen, and their clothes should appropriately cover their stomachs, shoulders, and legs. For more detailed information, please refer to the Student Information Guide.


How many classes is my child taking this year?

On a four by four block schedule, students can take 8 classes and earn 8 credits this year.  Each student will take four classes during the first semester (September – January) and four classes during the second semester (February – June).  At the end of each semester, students will earn 1 credit for each passed.


Can parent/teacher conferences be scheduled at the high school?

Yes.  If you are concerned about your child’s class(es), you can call the counselor assigned to your child to schedule a meeting.  By making an appointment, you can be assured the counselor and/or teacher(s) will be available.  If you show up without an appointment, you may have to wait or schedule an appointment at a later date.  Parent/Teacher conferences are usually held at 8:20 a.m.; meetings with just the counselor can be scheduled with the counselor anytime during the school day.



How can my child get in touch with the counselor?

Students are encouraged to put notes in the counselors’ boxes located in guidance.  Your child’s assigned counselor will get back to him/her as quickly as possible.


When should I be concerned about my child’s grades?

Be active and supportive in your child’s academic career to ensure his/her success.  If your child complains (more than normal) about school, make an appointment to see the guidance counselor. Ask to see your child’s report cards; they are issued eight times a year. Parents will also have access to view student info online.


When are report cards distributed?

Report cards will be distributed to the students in school in Oct. , Nov. , Jan. , Feb. , March , April , and May .  The last report card will be mailed home.


How do I know if my child is promoted from one grade to the next?

In Chesapeake, students are promoted from one grade level to the next according to the number of credits they earn.

  • 9th Grade (freshman)- A student with fewer than five credits
  • 10th Grade (sophomore)- A student with at least five credits, but fewer than 10 credits
  • 11th Grade( junior)- A student with at least 10 credits, but fewer than 16 credits
  • 12th Grade (senior)- A student with at least 16 credits working toward an Advanced or Standard Diploma


If my child is sick, do I need to call the school that day?

No.  If your child is sick, just send a note to school with him/her the following day.


If my child is sick, can the school provide the missed work?

If a student is out of school for more than two days, please contact the counselor and he/she can get the work to you within 24 hours. Students can also use a “buddy system”—contact a friend in each class who can collect missed assignments.  Students are also encouraged to check course syllabi on Student Vue.


How important is attendance?

Attendance is very important.  Students not only learn from the textbook but also from the information discussed in class as well as the collaborative activities performed in the learning environment.  A student who misses more than nine days in a class will fail the class regardless of his/her grade.  Appeals can be made to the school board rule by submitting written documentation (doctors’ notes, legal notices, etc.) at the end of the semester.  The Extenuating Circumstances Committee within the school will determine whether extenuating circumstances will be granted.


What is the difference between an unexcused absence and an excused absence?

An unexcused absence is an absence where the student has cut or skipped the class. Unexcused and excused absences both count toward the nine-day limit; consequently, teachers will send home absence notifications when a student has missed more than five days.  These notifications include both excused and unexcused absences. School field trips do not count toward the nine-day limit.


What are the graduation requirements?

For entering Freshmen – Standard (22 credit) diploma: 4 credits of English, 3 credits of history, 3 credits of math (at or above Algebra), 3 credits of science, 2 credits of P.E., 1 credit of a fine art/CTE class, 2 sequential electives or a foreign language, and 5 electives.


For the advanced studies (26 credit) diploma, students must pass: 4 credits of English, 4 credits of math (through Algebra II), 4 credits of science, 3 credits of one foreign language or 2 credits of one language and 2 of another language, 4 credits of history, 2 credits of P.E., 1 fine art/CTE credit, and 4 electives.


Both require an additional Economics/Personal Finance class as well as CPR/First Aid Training.


My child wants to go to college.  What classes should he/she take? Are there scholarships?

Students should take at least five core classes each year (English, math, science, history, and usually a foreign language).  Honors and Advanced Placement classes are also recommended for some students, but primarily good grades in regular or advanced classes are essential for gaining entrance into college.  SAT/ACT scores, extra-curricular involvement, leadership positions, and recommendations are also considered.  Scholarships are usually awarded to students who excel in one or more of the above areas. Visit https://web.cpschools.com/departments/guidance/scholarshipvue/login.php for the scholarship database.


When should my child take the SAT’s, ACT’s, and the PSAT’s?

Students should take the PSAT in October of their junior year because those scores can qualify them for National Merit Scholarships; however, they may take the test earlier.  The PSAT will be given on October 16 at Hickory High School.  Registration will take place with the guidance counselors September 9-Oct. 12.  All sophomores will take the PSAT free of charge. The cost is $17 for freshmen and juniors. The SAT’s and ACT’s are normally taken in the spring of 11th grade and the fall of the senior year.  Visit www.collegeboard.com or www.actstudent.org for more information.


Are there any opportunities for career/vocational counseling for students?

Yes.  Brad Markin, one of our Guidance Counselors, works with all students who want to learn more about vocational careers.  He helps students prepare for life after high school by meeting with them individually.


If I have moved recently or plan to move, do I need to let the school know?

Yes.  Address changes need to be documented with a current utility bill (water, gas, or electric only) that shows your name and usage.  Please make sure you update your current phone number(s) as well.


If I need to pick up my child from school during the day, what do I need to do?

Please come into the school and check out your son/daughter with the attendance secretary, Mrs. Hanks, across from the main door entrance.


What sports are available at HHS?


  • Fall Season (Cross Country, Football, Golf, Volleyball, Cheerleading);
  • Winter Season (Basketball, Wrestling, Swimming, Winter Track);
  • Spring Season (Baseball, Soccer, Track, Tennis)


  • Fall Season (Cross Country, Field Hockey, Volleyball, Cheerleading, Golf);
  • Winter Season (Basketball, Gymnastics, Swimming, Winter Track);
  • Spring Season (Tennis, Softball, Soccer, Track)


Typically, the Winter Season starts around November 1, and the Spring Season starts the middle of February.  Athletes need to get a physical prior to the starting times. This form is located on our HHS athletics page.




What is the 2.0 eligibility rule?

Students must have a 2.0 cumulative high school grade point average or a 2.0 GPA for the previous semester in order to be eligible to play high school sports.  Ninth graders need to have a 2.0 for their 8th grade year or a 2.0 for the 2nd semester of their 8th grade year to play sports in the first semester of their 9th grade year.  Students must also pass three classes the previous semester and be enrolled in three credit bearing classes the current semester to be eligible for sports.  Rising 9th graders must have passed 5 classes in 8th grade.


What is the grading scale?

A 93-100         A- 90-92

B+ 87-89         B  83-86          B- 80-82

C+ 77-79         C  73-76          C- 70-72

D+ 67-69         D 64-66

E 0-63


For more information, please visit to the Chesapeake Public School web page.


How does my child obtain a worker’s permit?

Students who are 14 or 15 years old and wish to work must obtain a worker’s permit from the VA Dept. of Labor.  For directions on how to obtain a work permit, go to www.doli.virginia.gov


When can my child drive?

Students who are the proper age can receive their learner’s permit from DMV by taking their social security card, birth certificate, and a parent/guardian to DMV.  Your child must pass the written test.  Free booklets are available at DMV.  Driver’s Education (classroom ONLY) is taught through the PE II classes.