U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos recognized Hickory High School as one of the National Blue Ribbon Schools for 2017. The recognition is based on a school’s overall academic performance or progress in closing achievement gaps among student subgroups. The National Blue Ribbon Schools Program honors public and private elementary, middle and high schools where students achieve very high learning standards or are making notable improvements in closing the achievement gap. This coveted award affirms the hard work of educators, families, and communities in creating safe and welcoming schools where students master challenging and engaging content. Now in its 35th year, the National Blue Ribbon Schools Program has bestowed recognition on more than 8,500 schools. On November 6-7, the Secretary and the Department of Education will celebrate with these honorees at an awards ceremony in Washington, D.C. Congratulations to Hickory High School!
We are Hickory – and we will continue to SOAR!!!
Hickory High School
Students who are interested in joining Student 2 Student, a program to help welcome transfer students to Hickory, can come to the informational meeting on Monday, November 20th, at 8:30 am in the Guidance Office. If you have any questions, please see Ms. Roland in guidance.
Hickory High School Sophomores, are you interested in one of these careers?
- Auto Body *
- Automotive Technology
- Computer Systems Technology *
- Electricity *
- Emergency Medical Technician
- Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and refrigeration
- Nail Technician
- Nurse Aide
- Practical Nursing
- Public Safety/Firefighting
- Television And Media Production
- Welding *
*Tidewater Community College Dual Enrollment Courses
If your child is interested in touring CCC, he or she must sign up with his or her school counselor and return the permission slip signed by a parent/guardian before November 21st. Students will be registered for the tour on a ﬁrst come ﬁrst served basis. Click on the Chesapeake Career Center flyer for more information.
The Building Leaders for Advancing Science and Technology (BLAST) program offers an exciting, on-campus summer experience designed to increase student interest and curiosity in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM). BLAST provides a residential opportunity to current 8th and 9th grade students with at least a C+ grade average and a desire to explore STEM opportunities. Faculty members lead hands-on activities and demonstrations that seek to motivate and inspire students for STEM studies and careers. BLAST is FREE of charge for students who are selected to participate, but transportation to and from the universities is the responsibility of each family. The program is a partnership between the Virginia Space Grant Consortium, Old Dominion University, the University of Virginia, Virginia Tech and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Applications are available, starting November 2017 at www.blast.spacegrant.org and due by February 6, 2018.
Don’t forget to purchase a yearbook. Click the link to order today!
Your school’s home for every photo of the year.
- Share photos with the yearbook staff
- View photos of friends and events
- See the school year as it happens
Download the ReplayIt app to add your photos.
Express your heart felt message with Hickory’s Ads for Grads. The order form link is listed below.
- September 18 – Senior make-up pictures
- September 19 & 20 – Underclassmen pictures
- October 27 – Underclassman make-up pictures
- November 21 – Club pictures
Steps for obtaining your own parking permit:
1. Print and complete Hickory High School Parking Policies and Procedures
2. Visit our parking application link to fill in the required information
Once you have completed steps 1 and 2:
3. Visit room 117 on Wednesday mornings between 8:00 and 8:30 to purchase your decal. You must bring the following items with you to complete the purchase:
- Valid Virginia Driver’s License (out of state with military ID)
- Proof of car insurance
- Completed Hickory High School Parking Policies and Procedures Acknowledgment Statement
- Twenty dollars (cash, check payable to HHS, or pay online)
School Store Open Monday – Friday from 12PM to 2PM
Join the PTSA – A National PTA School of Excellence – for only $7!