Hickory High School Families,
Do you want to learn more about what is going on at Hickory High School? The Hawk Talk is written by HHS’s administrative team to help keep the community informed of all the latest news. A new section called “The Hawk Talk” has been added to the Parents Tab of the website’s menu.
View the March edition of The Hawk Talk!
AP Test Registration and Payment collection will begin on February 25th and end March 12th. Both forms and payments will be collected every morning before school in Guidance and during all 3 lunches February 26th-28th. Payments can also be made online by following the instructions on the Registration form. Registration forms were provided to our AP teachers and they are available for pick-up in Guidance. You may also print a registration form from the link provided below.
Please email (AP Coordinator) with any questions.
HHS Seniors! This is an exciting year for you. Take a look at what is coming up and get involved!
- Cap and gowns will be delivered April 24 & 25. If you have not yet ordered the cap and gown, please visit www.balfourVA.com to place your order. Should you have any questions or concerns, please contact Balfour directly at 757.420.2233. Honor and NHS grads will automatically receive a white tassel with their package. Some may want to purchase a school-color tassel. Honor and NHS grads will need to bring $10.00 cash for the purchase of their cord at delivery in April and an additional $8.00 cash if they would like to purchase the school-color tassel.
- Visit the Graduation Page to order your cap and gown online as well as additional HHS memorabilia.
- Thursdays (starting on Sept 27) – Pay $5 dues (Only once for the whole year). Before 8:40 AM in Room 101
- Please donate to the After Prom Fund to help provide a fun and safer way to celebrate. Each senior is asked to consider a minimum donation of $20 to help make this year’s After Prom the best to date! Chesapeake Public Schools Online School Payments – After Prom Donations
- Premier Designs with Michelle Gamboni, https://www.premierdesigns.com/gamboni, All proceeds go to After Prom. Catalogs are available by the HHS Security desk, underneath the PTSA bulletin board.
- April 10 – Receive all prom information. Prom guest forms will be available. Information distributed during homeroom. Prom guest forms available in Rooms 130, 101, or 241.
Congratulations Mr. Jones on being selected as the Old Dominion University Center for Economic Education’s 2018 Outstanding Economic Educator of the Year! This award, sponsored by the Virginia Council on Economic Education, annually recognizes and rewards educators who demonstrate an outstanding commitment to the instruction of economics.
Based on his commitment to economics education and his continued support of the programs sponsored by the Old Dominion University Center for Economic Education and the Virginia Council on Economic Education such as the Stock Market Game and the Governor’s Challenge in Economics, the ODU Center has chosen Mr. Jones as the 2018 Outstanding Economic Educator of the Year!
Friday, December 4, 2018, the Virginia Council on Economic Education and the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond announced the winners of the 2018 Virginia Economic Educator Awards. Mr. Jones went on to win the 2018 Virginia Outstanding Economic Educator of the Year!
Congratulations to Lesley Sarver, Hickory High School’s 2018-2019 Teacher of the year!
Lesley Sarver graduated from Saint Francis University with a Bachelor’s of Arts in Spanish and Secondary Education. Selected as Early Career Commitment by Chesapeake Public Schools, she accepted a position and began teaching and coaching at Hickory High School in the fall of 2006. Since that time she has taught Spanish, levels 1-5. She never passes up an opportunity to travel and loves serving as a translator and facilitator to the Hispanic Community, here and abroad.
Driven by her passion and love for education she enjoys having the distinct honor to form and shape young leaders for future generations. Lesley is currently serving as Student Activities Coordinator and SCA Sponsor at Hickory. She has worked with the Youth Ministry program at Saint Stephen, Martyr Catholic Church, held a position at Great Bridge Hickory YMCA as an ActivTrax Coach, and coached a few girls teams for Chesapeake United Soccer Club.
In her spare time, she relaxes with yoga and bible study. She challenges herself with rock climbing, hiking and running. She treasures time spent with her family in Ohio and Pennsylvania. Lesley values the role of wife to fellow educator, Judson Sarver and the role of mom to the 3 Sarvlings: Noah, Korey and Elijah. Her favorite vacation was during the summer of 2017, when Judson, Lesley and the Sarvlings drove and tent camped across the country, coast to coast!
Where and When is Saturday School?
- HHS Cafeteria
- Starts at 8:15am—SHARP!
- Ends at 11:15 am—No Early Releases!
- Dates: December 1, January 12, February 23, March 23, May 4, June 1
Why Would You Want to Attend Saturday School?
- VHSL Study Session
- Make-up Work Session
- Extended Day: Make up absences from two class periods (two blocks, not full days)
- In-School Suspension Alternative
What Do You Need to Do at Saturday School?
- Communicate with your teachers for make-up work
- Bring your own materials: paper, pens, pencils, books, calculators, etc. to do school work
- Follow all school policies and procedures
- Bring your own devices: educational use only!
- Bring a snack for the break
**Attendance does NOT affect the Exam Exemption Policy
Thank you PTSA for your support and contributions to Hickory High School, the faculty and staff, and our students.
It’s not too late to join the PTSA – only $7. Seniors must be members to apply for one of many $1000 PTSA scholarships.
Visit the HHS PTSA Page to learn more about how the PTSA supports HHS.
Grab your spirit gear at the Hawks Nest – now open Monday through Friday from 12-2 during all lunches.
Please email if you would like to volunteer or have any questions.
Proceeds directly benefit Hickory High School.
Hickory High School will be installing a Wall of Honor which will display the name, armed service branch and graduation year of our brave and courageous alumni.
Please complete the Wall of Honor form to help us honor those who have served or currently are serving our country!
If you have any questions, please contact .