Congratulations to Lesley Sarver, Hickory High School’s 2018-2019 Teacher of the year!
Lesley Sarver graduated from Saint Francis University with a Bachelor’s of Arts in Spanish and Secondary Education. Selected as Early Career Commitment by Chesapeake Public Schools, she accepted a position and began teaching and coaching at Hickory High School in the fall of 2006. Since that time she has taught Spanish, levels 1-5. She never passes up an opportunity to travel and loves serving as a translator and facilitator to the Hispanic Community, here and abroad.
Driven by her passion and love for education she enjoys having the distinct honor to form and shape young leaders for future generations. Lesley is currently serving as Student Activities Coordinator and SCA Sponsor at Hickory. She has worked with the Youth Ministry program at Saint Stephen, Martyr Catholic Church, held a position at Great Bridge Hickory YMCA as an ActivTrax Coach, and coached a few girls teams for Chesapeake United Soccer Club.
In her spare time, she relaxes with yoga and bible study. She challenges herself with rock climbing, hiking and running. She treasures time spent with her family in Ohio and Pennsylvania. Lesley values the role of wife to fellow educator, Judson Sarver and the role of mom to the 3 Sarvlings: Noah, Korey and Elijah. Her favorite vacation was during the summer of 2017, when Judson, Lesley and the Sarvlings drove and tent camped across the country, coast to coast!
Attention Seniors: TCC Field Trip Day is November 15th if you would like to learn more about TCC and the different programs they offer, please pick up a permission slip from Mr. Markin in guidance. The permission slips are due back 11/14/18. Only first 40 students allowed.
Hickory Band Parents Association Presents the 22nd Annual Hickory Craft fair on November 10th from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM at Hickory High School. Complete with over 130 vendors, there will also be concessions and raffles! Visit www.hickorycraftfair.org for more information.
Where and When is Saturday School?
- HHS Cafeteria
- Starts at 8:15am—SHARP!
- Ends at 11:15 am—No Early Releases!
- Once per Marking Period; First Session is on October 27th
Why Would You Want to Attend Saturday School?
- VHSL Study Session
- Make-up Work Session
- Extended Day: Make-up 2 Absences
- In-School Suspension Alternative
What Do You Need to Do at Saturday School?
- Communicate with your teachers for make-up work
- Bring your own materials: paper, pens, pencils, books, calculators, etc. to do school work
- Follow all school policies and procedures
- Bring your own devices: educational use only!
- Bring a snack for the break
**Attendance does NOT affect the Exam Exemption Policy
Hickory High School Families,
Do you want to learn more about what is going on at Hickory High School? The Hawk Talk is written by HHS’s administrative team to help keep the community informed of all the latest news. A new section called “The Hawk Talk” has been added to the Parents Tab of the website’s menu.
View the September edition of The Hawk Talk!
HHS Seniors! This is an exciting year for you. Take a look at what is coming up and get involved!
- Thursdays (starting on Sept 27) – Pay $5 dues (Only once for the whole year). Before 8:40 AM in Room 101
- Please donate to the After Prom Fund to help provide a fun and safer way to celebrate. Each senior is asked to consider a minimum donation of $20 to help make this year’s After Prom the best to date! Chesapeake Public Schools Online School Payments – After Prom Donations
- Now Until March 8th – Order your Senior Class Yard Sign. Click the Online Order Form to order your yard sign. Visit Hickory High School’s Online School Payments to complete your order.
- November 16th and 17th from 4 to 10 PM – Eat and Tropical Smoothie on Mount Pleasant to help support After Prom
- November 17th from 8 to 11 PM – Sadie Hawkins Yule Ball Dance at HHS!
Congratulations Mr. Jones on being selected as the Old Dominion University Center for Economic Education’s 2018 Outstanding Economic Educator of the Year! This award, sponsored by the Virginia Council on Economic Education, annually recognizes and rewards educators who demonstrate an outstanding commitment to the instruction of economics.
Based on his commitment to economics education and his continued support of the programs sponsored by the Old Dominion University Center for Economic Education and the Virginia Council on Economic Education such as the Stock Market Game and the Governor’s Challenge in Economics, the ODU Center has chosen Mr. Jones as the 2018 Outstanding Economic Educator of the Year!
Thank you PTSA for your support and contributions to Hickory High School, the faculty and staff, and our students.
It’s not too late to join the PTSA – only $7. Seniors must be members to apply for one of many $1000 PTSA scholarships.
Visit the HHS PTSA Page to learn more about how the PTSA supports HHS.
Grab your spirit gear at the Hawks Nest – now open Monday through Friday from 12-2 during all lunches.
Please email if you would like to volunteer or have any questions.
Proceeds directly benefit Hickory High School.
There is a lot happening at HHS! Click the link to visit the SCA Page to see all the great events our school has to offer!
Hickory High School will be installing a Wall of Honor which will display the name, armed service branch and graduation year of our brave and courageous alumni.
Please complete the Wall of Honor form to help us honor those who have served or currently are serving our country!
If you have any questions, please contact .