All GBMS 8th grade students are invited to attend our end of the year dance to celebrate your time at GBMS and the start of a new journey to high school. DJ, dancing, pizza and snacks are all included!
- When: Friday, June 8th
- Time: 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm
- Location: GBMS Cafeteria
- Cost: $5.oo Tickets are on sale now until June 6th. Students may purchase tickets during homeroom from their team teachers.
- All school dress code rules apply.
- Nice dress or dress pants and blouse are expected.
- Length of skirt or dress must be mid-thigh or longer.
- Dresses should have shoulders covered with sleeve or wide strap. Spaghetti straps or off the shoulder dresses will require a sweater, wrap or jacket.
- Wear comfortable shoes!
- Dress pants or khaki style pants, with collared shirt are expected.
- Button down shirts or polo shirts are acceptable (Ties are not required).
- No shorts or jeans.
6th Grader, Kiersten Dominek, received an award from the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 2894. Kiersten received the “Patriot’s Pen Award” for her essay on Freedom. Congratulations!
The current GBMS SOL Testing Schedule is below.
- Friday, May 18: Civics
- Monday, May 21: Reading 7
- Tuesday, May 22: Reading 7
- Wednesday, May 23: Reading 8
- Thursday, May 24: Reading 6
- Friday, May 25: Reading 6
- Tuesday, May 29: Science Grade 8
- Wednesday, May 30: Math Grade 7
- Thursday, May 31: Math Grade 6
- Friday, June 1: Math Grade 8
Wildcat Summer Smash for Rising 6th graders will be held on July 24th from 9:00 am- 11:00 am. There will be games, scavenger hunts, and a chance to meet friends and teachers. We look forward to seeing you there!
Robin Knight has been chosen as Barnes & Noble’s Favorite Local Teacher!
Mrs. Knight’s selection was based on the strength of an essay submitted by Great Bridge Middle School student LaKyne Hewitt. A panel of judges chose LaKyne’s essay out of a large number of submissions from local middle and high school students.
Mr. Grillo will receive a literacy award at the Chesapeake Reading Council banquet in May! GBMS is very fortunate to have Mr. Grillo on our staff. His dedication to his job, promoting literacy, and his rapport with his students is very much appreciated. We appreciate you Mr. Grillo!
Join our back to back Virginia state champions for a week long camp! Love of the sport is our first priority. We will work to instill beginner skill as well to challenge current players to increase their skill and confidence.
- For: Rising 1st – 8th graders (All experiences welcome!)
- When: June 18 – June 22
- Time: 8:30 am – 11:30 am
- Location: Great Bridge High School
- Deadline to sign-up: June 1, 2018
- Cost: $100 (includes reversible pinnie)
- Online Registration: Click here to sign up now!
- Equipment needed: Players must bring mouth guards, shin guards, and field hockey sticks.
- Payment information: Checks should be made out to “Wildcat Field Hockey Booster Club.”
- Mailing Address:
- GBHS attn: Katie Duke
- 301 Hanbury Road, W.
- Chesapeake, VA 23322
- For gear or questions, contact:
- June 18 – June 21
- or or more details.
Chesapeake Public Schools is pleased to provide a variety of high quality instructional programs for students this summer. Generally, student placement in summer school is determined by the grade in which a student is enrolled during the 2017-2018 school year. Some classes have specific grade level requirements and/or other prerequisites. Students and parents/guardians should consult with guidance counselors and/or teachers to determine which programs may be appropriate. All summer programs and classes are contingent on school budget approvals, sufficient enrollment, and availability of appropriately endorsed instructional staff.
Chesapeake Public Schools (CPS) has been humbled by the outpouring of support received since the tragedy in Parkland, Florida, on February 14, 2018. Many parents and community members have contacted us to ask how they can help support our safety and security measures through monetary donations. In response, CPS has developed two ways you can help.
Please click the links below for more information:
- Ways Make to Contribute to School Safety
- School Safety Letter
- Keeping our Buildings Safe Throughout the Day Letter