Update 10/12/2018 5:00 p.m.
The following evening and weekend activities will be held as scheduled:
- Deep Creek vs. Oscar Smith @ Deep Creek Middle School – 7:00 p.m.
- Indian River vs. King’s Fork @ Indian River High School – 7:00 p.m.
- Great Bridge vs. Hickory @ Great Bridge Middle School – 7:00 p.m.
- Grassfield vs. Lakeland @ Grassfield High School – 7:00 p.m.
- Great Bridge High School PTSA Craft Show – Saturday, October 13 from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Indian River Middle School AVID Craft Show – Saturday, October 13 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
The follow events have been rescheduled:
- Western Branch vs. Nansemond River @Western Branch is rescheduled for Saturday (10/13). The Homecoming parade will begin at 12:00 p.m. Kick-off is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
Individual school messages are listed below. Please continue to check back for additional updates.
- Deep Creek High School Parent Alert Message: Good morning. This is Page Bagley, Principal of Deep Creek High School calling with an update to school activities. While all Chesapeake Public Schools are closed today due to the effect of the storm, our regularly scheduled Friday Night football is still on scheduled for tonight. Come out to support our Deep Creek Hornets as they take on the Tigers of Oscar Smith. Game time is 7 pm at the Nathan T. Hardee Stadium located on the campus of Deep Creek Middle School. All athletic practices can resume their practice schedules after 12 noon today. Please have a safe weekend.
- Indian River High School Parent Alert Message: Good Morning, Braves. The homecoming parade scheduled for today will start at 5:15 p.m.. Parade participants should report to Georgetown primary at 4:45 p.m. Tickets for tonight’s football game will be sold in the IRH main office from 12:00 p.m.- 1:00 pm. Ticket booths and gates will open at 6:00 p.m. tonight at the stadium for a 7:00 kick off. We look forward to seeing you at our homecoming events. Go Braves!
- Great Bridge Primary and Intermediate Parent Alert Message: Hello Great Bridge families! The Great Bridge High School football game is on for tonight! If you signed up to be a Junior Wildcat, meet at the main gate of Colon L. Hall Stadium by 6:15 p.m. to receive your t-shirt and line up to go on the field. Again, the GBHS football game is on for tonight. We look forward to seeing our Junior Wildcats there!
- Grassfield Elementary School Parent Alert Message: Good afternoon Grassfield SCA. The homecoming festivities at Grassfield High School are still on for today. Remember to meet in the Top Hat parking lot at 4:30 p.m.. We will then proceed to the beginning of the parade route to begin marching at 5:30 p.m. After the parade, your children can be picked up from the Top Hat parking lot. Thanks for all you do to make GFE such a great place to learn.
- Grassfield High School Parent Alert Message: Good afternoon, this is Mike Perez, principal of Grassfield High School, with an update on Grassfield High School facilities and building conditions for weekend activities. Grassfield’s facilities are working normally and the building and grounds conditions are safe for activities. All scheduled activities are approved to resume today at 12 noon, including the 6th Annual Homecoming Parade at 5:30 p.m. on Scenic Blvd., the Homecoming game vs Lakeland at 7:00 p.m., and the band competition tomorrow at 10:00 a.m. Again, Grassfield High School has power and water and all building and grounds conditions are safe for us to resume activities tonight and this weekend. We hope to see you this evening for the parade and game. Pollards Chicken, Hawaiian Sno and Ice and Duck Donuts will be here at 4:00 p.m., Parade at 5:30 p.m., and game at 7:00 p.m. and the Marching Grizzlies Classic tomorrow at 10:00 a.m.Have a great weekend, and as always, Go Grizzlies!
- Great Bridge Middle School Parent Alert Message: Hello, this is Craig Mills, principal of Great Bridge Middle School with some important announcements. The Grassfield Homecoming Parade is going on as scheduled. The Great Bridge Middle School SCA Homeroom representatives and Relay for Life Club members will still participate following the information you have received. For logistical reasons, the 8th grade band, cheerleaders, and color guard will not be participating in tonight’s Great Bridge High School varsity game. The students will receive information about any make-up or additional activities for the season at their next practice. We regret any inconvenience or disappointment this has caused, but we had to make a decision in the best interest of the students having a successful experience. We hope that everyone has remained safe with minimal damage during our recent weather event. Thank you for your continued support of Great Bridge Middle School and have a great weekend.
- Great Bridge High School Synergy Message: Hello Wildcat family! We hope everyone is safe and no one suffered too much damage from those winds! We wanted to reach out and communicate Great Bridge specific updates, including Homecoming Spirit Week information. The home football game against Hickory, the Battle of the Boulevard, is still on for this evening. Come out and support the team! The Red Cross Blood Drive scheduled for today has been rescheduled for October 26. Craft Show is still on:Tomorrow, October 13, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. is the PTSA Fall Craft Show. Free Admission! Please come out and support local venders. You may just find that perfect gift! This Saturday, during the Craft Show, help the PTSA and GBH Band raise $8000! Come test drive a car (or three), and for each car you drive, GBH earns money. There is no pressure or obligation to buy. Cavalier Ford Lincoln requires drivers to be 18 years or older with a valid Driver’s License. Homecoming Semi-formal Dance: The homecoming dance will be on Saturday, October 20th from 8-11 p.m. All students are invited to attend this semi-formal dance that will be sure to be a memorable experience. Due to today’s cancellation, we have extended the ticket sales through Wednesday of next week. Tickets will be on sale during all lunches for $15. Powder Puff practice for all players, coaches, and cheerleaders is tomorrow (Saturday) 9 a.m. – 10 a.m.
- Indian River Middle School Parent Alert Message: Good Morning IRMS Students and Parents. This is Ms. Werts, principal of IRMS. I wanted to let you know our AVID Craft Show will still take place on Saturday, October 13 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. We invite you to come out. We have over 45 vendors. We hope to see all of our parents and students tomorrow at the craft show.
Update 10/12/2018 5:15 a.m.
This is an important announcement from Chesapeake Public Schools. Due to many power outages in our schools and road closures across our city, Chesapeake Public Schools will be closed for ALL STUDENTS on Friday, October 12, 2018; administrators and twelve month employees should report on a TWO HOUR delay. Again, the school division will operate on a CODE YELLOW on Friday. Decisions regarding after-school and evening activities will be made later in the day. Thank you for your understanding as we work together to ensure the safety of our students and staff.
Update 10/11/2018 10:00 a.m.
This is an EMERGENCY WEATHER ALERT from Chesapeake Public Schools. All after-school and evening activities and events for today, Thursday, October 11, 2018, are cancelled due to inclement weather. As a reminder, today is a pre-scheduled Early Release Day for Elementary Schools only. We will continue to monitor the weather conditions overnight and inform you if any adjustments for tomorrow’s schedule will be necessary.For more information, please visit our website at cpschools.com.