WHAT IS A SHELTER?
- A concrete block structure located outside of the storm surge area.
- Used for protecting residents who reside in a vulnerable area/structure.
- Not a hospital, nursing home, or hotel. Does not support electrical medical equipment.
- Does not guarantee electrical power.
Call 757-382-6504 for the list of emergency shelters.
WHAT TO DO (Not a comprehensive list):
WHAT TO BRING (Not a comprehensive list):
- All Medications
- ID Cards
- DMV License
- Medical Insurance Card
- Pillows/Blankets/Sleeping Bags
- Toiletry Items
- Change of Clothes
- Important Papers (Driver’s License, insurance policies, etc.)
- Contact Phone Numbers
- Battery Powered Radio
- Quiet entertainment items to pass the time (i.e., books, board games, cards, etc.)
- Special items for infants (formula, diapers, etc.), elderly or disabled family members
- Register all family members upon arrival at the shelter.
- All registration information is confidential.
- Sign-out when leaving the shelter, giving your specific destination plans and/or plans to return to the shelter
- Treat everyone with respect.
- No disorderly conduct allowed.
- Everyone is responsible for his or her own belongings. It is suggested that valuables be locked in your car.
- Smoking is prohibited in the building.
- Prohibited items:
- Illegal substances
- Any type of weapon
- Animals are not allowed *
*Exception: Registered service animals
CHESAPEAKE EMERGENCY SHELTER COMMITTEE
- American Red Cross
- Chesapeake Integrated Behavioral Healthcare
- Chesapeake Emergency Management Office
- Chesapeake Fie Department
- Chesapeake Public Health Department
- Chesapeake Public Schools
- Chesapeake Office of Human Services
- Other Private Stakeholders