Our School’s History
In 1845, Norfolk County constructed the first public school in Deep Creek. It was the second school to be constructed in Norfolk County from funds provided by the General Assembly for public education. The one-room school was located across from the present day Deep Creek Intermediate School. The school was closed and destroyed by federal troops during the Civil War. In 1870, a school was erected on Old Gilmerton Road. Several years later, a one-room school facing Galberry Road behind and adjacent to Flemming’s Store was constructed. In 1897, a wing was added to separately house the older students. In 1908, the legislature provided funds for the construction of a one-story brick school on the site of the previous intermediate school. Schools from the outlying areas were consolidated and students from St. Juliens Creek, Millsville, Grassfield, and Gilmerton were transported by horse-drawn school buses to Deep Creek School. In 1910, a two-story brick building was constructed on the site of the intermediate school. The first class of seniors was graduated from Deep Creek High School in 1911. Building additions were made in 1923, 1947, and 1952. In 1955, Deep Creek High School was separated from Deep Creek School by the construction of a million dollar secondary building to house grades 7-12 on Deal Drive.
In the 1940’s, with the assistance of the Rosenwald Fund, a four-room elementary school was built for black students in the Deep Creek borough. Black students from Deep Creek attended Providence High School in South Norfolk, which later became incorporated into Carver High School and Gilmerton High School. Both schools later became incorporated into Crestwood High School when it opened in 1954. The black elementary schools in Grassfield, Deep Creek, and Millsville were consolidated in the 1950’s and were housed in Central Elementary School on Shipyard Road.
In1963, Deep Creek High School became part of the newly formed Chesapeake School System, which resulted from a merger of Norfolk County and the City of South Norfolk. In 1966, grades 7-8 were shifted from the high school to the junior high, which is today’s SECEP school. In 1979, due to large increases in enrollment at both the high school and junior high school, the high school building on Deal Drive was designated a junior high school and a seven million dollar high school located on Margaret Booker Drive was constructed to house grades 10-12.
Academic classrooms, vocational training areas, and corridors, as well as the gymnasium, the media center, the computer lab and the commons area are well designed for the purposes they serve in the current building. The school was expanded in 1990 with the addition of the new wing serving the Math, Science and Foreign Language departments. The space was needed due to the addition of the ninth grade. In the summer of 1998, the school was expanded again to accommodate an enrollment of approximately 2,000 students. This expansion includes improvements to the library, gymnasium, and classrooms for Science, Special Education, Art and Vocational programs.
In 2011, the year marking Deep Creek High School’s 100th anniversary, the school received major building and technology upgrades, which included a new HVAC system and the addition of wall-mounted SmartBoards in every classroom. In Fall 2011, Deep Creek High was proud to welcome its first group of Freshmen to the new Science and Medicine Academy.
Deep Creek High’s colors are Purple and White and the emblem is the hornet.
|Deep Creek High School Principals|
|Mr. S. A. MacDonald||1917 – 1919|
|Mr. W. S. Brent||1919 – 1928|
|Mr. T. P. Chapman||1928 – 1930|
|Mr. L. D. Bell||1930 – 1937|
|Mr. W. L. Mason||1937 – 1941|
|Mr. J. J. Booker, Jr.||1941 – 1949|
|Mr. W. L. Jones||1949 – 1967|
|Mr. H. C. Laumann||1967 – 1972|
|Mr. Nathan T. Hardee||1972 – 2009|
|Ms. J. Page Bagley||2010 – Present|
Deep Creek High School Alma Mater
Hail to thee, Our Alma Mater
Loud your praise we sing
May our faculty and students
Glory to you bring.
Deep Creek High School, Loved of old
Hark upon the gale
Hear the thunder of our chorus
Alma Mater, hail.