The original George Washington Carver was built in 1908 and received an addition in 1938. Because of an influx of students in the area, a larger school was needed. Construction of the school began in 1952 on a twenty-eight acre site. George Washington Carver High and Elementary School was built to serve the African American population in the days of segregation. At that time, the school was attended by both elementary and high school students. G. W. Carver went on to serve only grades 5 and 6.
Currently, George Washington Carver Intermediate School serves about 530 third, fourth, and fifth grade students with a staff of 120. Each classroom is equipped with SMART Boards, computers, and laptops as we prepare our students to be 21st century learners.