Application for Community Use of Chesapeake Public Schools Facilities and Grounds
Phone: 757-547-1340 / Fax: 757-547-1342
Requests to use school facilities should be made by submitting an Application for Community Use of Chesapeake Public Schools Facilities and Grounds. The application must be filed with the school principal not less than 15 working days before intended use. All information must be furnished before application can be processed.
Please contact Student Activities at 757-547-1340 to request a copy of the Application for Community Use of Chesapeake Public Schools Facilities and Grounds.
REGULATIONS (R 5-25) GOVERNING THE USE OF SCHOOL FACILITIES
Only Chesapeake Residents May Apply. Failure to comply with the following regulations will void this contract.
All Users Shall Observe The Following Regulations:
1. User shall submit this request to the Principal 15 working days prior to intended use.
2. User shall be responsible for all damage or loss of property and equipment. Only those facilities and equipment specified in the request may be used. Only the Superintendent can approve use of equipment.
3. Additional fees will be charged for the use of buildings or facilities beyond the time approved.
4. Users shall conform to policies and regulations established by the School Board and the representatives of the School Board.
5. No alcoholic beverages may be carried or consumed on Chesapeake School property.
6. Smoking or the use of tobacco products is prohibited in school buildings.
7. A representative(s) [custodian(s)] of the school division must be present during use of the facility.
8. Long-term commitments shall be limited to six months with renewal to be considered at the general discretion of Chesapeake Public Schools.
9. User agrees that any advertising or promotional material that it wishes to use for a regularly scheduled or special event to be held on School Division property, whether to be placed on School Division property, on a public street, on private property visible to a public street, or in any form of print or electronic media, including social media, must be provided in advance of its intended use or placement to the School Division. The School Division will promptly review any such promotional or advertising material for its consistency with applicable law, school policies and the terms of the Facilities Use Agreement and advise User whether such material(s) may be placed or used in any of the manners described above. The foregoing shall not include distribution of routine scheduling and reminders of scheduled events which appear in User’s internal distributions of literature to its members or on its own website. Placing a sign, banner or other device on Chesapeake Public Schools property is allowed no more than (24) hours prior to the beginning of planned event and must be removed at its conclusion.
10. User shall provide a Certificate of Insurability in an amount specified by Chesapeake Public Schools with Chesapeake Public Schools being named as additionally insured for each date of usage. (See “INSURANCE” below)
11. Use of a cafeteria for the preparation and/or serving of food shall be approved, priced, and paid for through the Department of School Nutrition.
12. User agrees to Hold Harmless and Idemnify Chesapeake Public Schools with respect to any claim of loss, injury, or damage because of negligence of the user or user’s employees or agents, including damage to School Board property for which the School Board is liable.
13. User agrees to comply with Safety Regulations and Policies of the Chesapeake Fire and Police Departments.
14. User shall pay for such security personnel as required by Chesapeake Public Schools.
15. User agrees that activities will be orderly and lawful and not of a nature to incite others to disorder, and to maintain supervision and containment of the participants/event to the contracted area.
16. User agrees to conform with the Civil Rights Compliance Act as well as avoiding any activity which would violate local, state, or federal laws.
17. The sale of merchandise, food, and beverages by a non-school group must be approved by the building principal.
18. No pets; with the exception of “service” animals.
19. Written notice of a cancellation must be received by the Office of Student Activities at least five (5) working days prior to the scheduled use or rental fees may be applied.
20. Athletic Teams will provide a typed roster to include coaches and players names and addresses.
A REQUEST MAY BE DENIED WHEN PREVIOUS USAGE WAS UNSATISFACTORY, THE ACCOUNT IS DELINQUENT, THE ACTIVITY IS ESSENTIALLY A PRIVATE GATHERING OR DANCE, OR IT IS JUDGED NOT TO BE IN THE BEST INTEREST OF THE SCHOOL AND COMMUNITY OR WOULD RESULT IN AN UNACCEPTABLE RISK.
NOTE: 1. WHEN SCHOOLS ARE CLOSED DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER, ALL FACILITIES USE IS CANCELLED. USERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR NOTIFYING THEIR MEMBERSHIPS.
2. IN ADDITION, SCHOOLS TYPICALLY WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR RENTAL DURING OFFICIAL SCHOOL HOLIDAYS.
BILLING AND PAYMENT PROCEDURES
1. Payment of the estimated costs is required prior to usage. Four (4) hour minimum charge.
2. Checks must be made payable to Chesapeake Public Schools.
3. Mail to: Director of Building Use, 312 Cedar Road, Chesapeake, VA 23322.
A standard building use request requires that the group or organization furnish a Certificate of Insurability to show the following:
Commercial General Liability $1,000,000 Each Occurrence Bodily Injury
$2,000,000 General Aggregate Bodily Injury
$ 500,000 Each Occurrence Property Damage
A combined single limit of $1,000,000
Coverage is to include Products Liability, Personal Injury, and Fire Damage Legal Liability. The Certificate shall certify that the policy has been endorsed to name, as an additional insured, Chesapeake Public Schools with respect to the use of school premises. If the organization has an employee(s), the certificate must also show evidence of Workers Compensation coverage.
These amounts may be adjusted depending upon the rise of exposure factors present.